18 July, 2022

LOX week 3

 Continuing the r/rougelikedev 2022 code-along into parts four and five of the tutorial.  I have started going down some wild tangents last week and I've been rambling further down those paths.

It took me most of the week to get through part 4, partly because of my home-made screen rendering but mostly because I had to learn what shadow casting was and how to implement it from scratch

My notes on Part-4 cover the details of what happened.  Once again, anti-aliasing reared its head to make my graphics implementation a total disaster, and you can see some of the resulting vertical stripes in the image above.  I also had to write my own field of view system, and that wasn't quite what I expected.

I still have a bit of work to do on Part-5, but my notes are up and I have a partial implementation in place.  It should have been a short and sweet part of the tutorial, but I needed to do a lot of repair and improvements on my space station generation before I could meaningfully place NPCs.

I am inordinately proud of those little multi-coloured spaceships, because I wrote the world's absolute worst standard-deviation algorithm to paint them in vivid (non-grey) random colours.

I also started using the issue tracker, which provides a really great dopamine hit when things are checked off.

No comments:

Post a Comment